CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 13, 2009

The "List" - Packing All of Us for a Two Month Excursion!

The largest somewhat insurmountable task that I'm undertaking in the next several days is to pack up all five of us for the summer.


The challenge, is to fit all that I am taking for the summer, in the back seat/trunk area of my 2005 Honda Pilot.


Since I'm too lazy at the moment to actually go outside and TAKE a picture of our Honda Pilot, I have pulled one off the internet.


So you can imagine the space limitations. I may consider purchasing one of those Thule or other brand rooftop containers, but I keep thinking about how I will be able to not only get stuff up there, but get things down easily as well, so that is a concern. Also, the cost of them is somewhat prohibitive to my current budget.

Here is my current packing list.


Children's Clothing/My Clothing

5 shorts
5 shirts
1 hoodie/sweatshirt
1 pair long jeans
5 pairs socks (marked)
5 pairs underwear (marked)
1 swimsuit
1 sandal/flip flop
1 pair sneakers
Toothbrush/Toothpaste/Deodorant, etc
Hairbrush/Accessories
Sleeping Bag/Pillow
(mom) dress and heels (for interviews)
(mom) dress and heels (for week alone in Ft. Laud)
(mom) extra swimsuit - gonna bring one bikini and one full piece
(mom) makeup bag, hair iron (just for the first part of the trip!)


Rolling Kitchen

I intend to carry a "rolling kitchen" with us, to cut down on food costs. I'm still compiling all the items I need for this, but anticipate to have it all stored in a rubbermaid type container. I bought some plastic summer type dishware for the trip, so I can wash and reuse, and not buy or go through a bunch of paper plates or plastic cups. This will save money over the course of the month and also it's friendlier to the environment to cut down on our overall waste. I plan on making sandwiches at every stop, topping off our cooler with ice and drinks, and trying to not pull into a fast food restaurant at all- unless it's a treat (for instance, we don't have In-N-Out Burgers where we live, so for the experience, we would eat out).


Plastic Cups (Reusable!)
Plastic Dinner Plates and Bowls (Reusable)
Plastic Silverware (I had an overabundance of disposable silverware from parties, so I'm planning on using this until I run out, then I will buy a stainless set for everyone at the dollar store)
Napkins
Matches
Lighter
Rival Electric Pan (plugs in and has a lid)
Pot (from the kitchen)
Hotplate
George Foreman Grill (we have this in our kitchen)
Colander (hopefully collapsible)
Spatula
Spaghetti Spoon
Soup Spoon
Cutting Mat
Knives
Dishsoap
Sponge
Kitchen Towels
Paper Towel Roll
Tablecloth
Small Dustpan (picked up one at the Dollar Store)
Small Washbasin (also found at Dollar Store) - the smaller items will sit inside this while traveling.
First Aid Kit (I buy one every spring!)
Small Sewing Kit (hotel style)
Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder


Campsite Items

Firesticks
Girls Tent
Boys Jr. Tent
Tent LED Lights
Flashlights
Camp Pads
Backpacks (for day hikes)- I may use these to store some of the camping items.

Foodstuff/Storage/Extras

Wet Cooler (ice filled)
Dry Cooler (possibly just a storage container to store our dry goods)
Our "Rolling Office" - already contained primarily in a storage cube. Contains binders, notepaper, crayons, markers and pencils. Each person has a binder for the trip to journal. Also in the cube: Two Road Atlas Books and 1,000 Places To See Before You Die book.
Electronics- Our mini laptop (shared), digital camera, video camera, all cords for all of those things, a mini mouse, earphones and flash drives. The kids will probably pack their DS and games for the trip as well.

So, I'm probably leaving a lot out, but for now, that's the most immediate list I can come up with. I'll probably have to add to it as time goes on.

Another thing that we're planning to do? Cut down on our "load"- as we gather treasures from state to state, we'll be utilizing the US Postal Service's Flat Rate Box! We'll load up a box with stuff we've amassed, then I'll make a note of all things inside, and put a date in marker on the outside of the box and send them home. I've stopped my mail service, but I'm sure the good people at our local post office will take care of our treasures well while we're gone. We can open them once we're at home, in order.

0 comments: